Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Fill your cup Friday-The Walk


I realize this is a rather lengthy read, but believe me when I tell you it is worth it. I hope it helps to refill your cup today!

THE WALK

Today I walked in the quiet woods alone,
The rustle of leaves under my feet made a lonely sound
And the song of the birds was lonely too
Until I came to the old tree
With its spreading arms
And you came too and sat beside me.
I smiled in silent greeting
And beckoned to show you the thousands
Of tiny blue daisies looking up through the grass.
We marveled at the lush velvet of the moss up close to the tree
And you hushed my voice to hear
The note of a distant bird’s song.
We followed the sound as excuse
To walk under the shading arms of the old trees
Where the world seemed at peace
And quiet and still in its own thoughts.
We felt at peace too as we walked along,
Drinking in the solitude,
Stopping to hear the murmur of a little stream
And to watch the busy working
Of a colony of ants that caught our eye.
You stooped to let one crawl onto your finger
Where we watched his frantic searching
For companionship and security,
And we talked of his likeness with humans
Who sometimes spend a whole lifetime
Searching for something or someone to fill the void
Without ever once being satisfied.
Our steps turn back to the trail again
Under the deep shade of the old trees
And I walked beside you in silence,
Thinking of you,
Feeling a strong surge of happiness
Well up inside with such sweetness it made me ache
In thankfulness to God
For you.
I looked up to see your eyes on mine,
Deep in the same thoughts,
And you reached out to my outstretching hand
To touch my fingers
In a gentle communion of our souls;
One moment of eternity, caught and held in timelessness of
memory,
To be relived in months and years to come.
--One moment—then we turned and walked again
Into the hurried world.

Betty Burton Choate
Windows of the soul