Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Tough Truth Tuesday- A Tough Place

-->
-->
                  Christmas Island. A place I knew nothing about until this summer. Christmas island is a small island off the Coast of Australia-an Island where a group of 25 people went to visit this summer to share the good news of the gospel. I am blessed to call one of those 25 people my friend and privileged to hear him speak about this trip recently.
Christmas Island is considered to be a third world country. It is hard for me to imagine a place where people with so little material possessions and yet so much joy, but this is exactly how it was described to me.  It was described as a place where the term “door-knocking” means going from hut to hut and often knocking on anything but a door. It was described as a place of pure poverty; yet it was described as a place where visitors are always welcomed. It was described as a place where the answer to the question “Would you like to study the Bible with me?” is always yes. It was described as a place of real Christian persecution. A place where a man’s home was burned after he chose to become a New Testament Christian.
                  This was the description given to us, but this is not how I would define it.  Christmas Island is a place of hope-a place where the gospel is touching and changing lives. Christmas Island is a place of perseverance. The man whose home was burned down is an active member in the Lord’s church. Like Paul, this man is using his troubles and trials to further the work of the Lord. Christmas Island is a place that is in my prayers, because it is a home to my brothers and sisters in Christ. They are doing so much good there and I look forward to the day I will get to meet them-even if it is not on this side of heaven.