Friday, September 27, 2013

Traditional Thursday-Wedding Bells Will Ring So Merrily...

-->
In September of 1953, two people vowed to share their lives together. Last week I was blessed to be able to honor those two people on their 60th wedding anniversary. Calling this rare occasion a blessing seems grossly inadequate, yet that is exactly what it was-a blessing. It has been a blessing to share in the love and friendships these two people have kept over the years. It is a continual blessing to be able to learn from their years of wisdom and experience. I am honored and humbled to say I am one of their granddaughters and I am proud to say I come from a long line of love.




         They taught me that you fix things; you don’t just throw them away. They taught me that just because something may be new, it not necessarily more valuable. They taught me that going to church should never be a question or a discussion. When the doors are open, you go, period. They taught me to make wonderful memories, because no one can ever take those away from you. They taught me it’s okay to be silly sometimes; part of being a grown up is knowing when it’s all right to act like a kid. They taught me that country music is Johnny Cash, Porter Wagner and John Denver. They taught me every word of Country Roads. They taught me to always try to feed your company. They taught me that back porches are for long afternoon talks. They taught me that animals are just four-legged members of your family. They taught me to be like Lee Greenwood, Proud to be an American. They taught me that words do not properly express the beauty of Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains. They taught me never to stand in front of a gate when letting out a coon dog. They taught me how to make biscuits and cornbread. They introduced me to the true classic movie stars like James Stewart, Jane Powell, and June Allyson. They taught me that you needn’t have lots of money to be happy and that we should always be climbing happiness hill.



Sixty years together…something we all strive for but few of us actually achieve.