Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Goal-Making in 2014

--> -->
The book is called opportunity and its first chapter is New Year’s Day.
-Edith Lovejoy Pierce



                  Throughout elementary and middle school, we were encouraged to list our resolutions with each New Year. I remember hating this. I never really knew what goals I wanted to accomplish; therefore I would make a perfunctory list (you know the goals I’m talking about: be a better Christian, read the Bible more, be a better friend and so on). While there was nothing inherently wrong with this list (these were all are noble goals), it lacks the specifics on how these goals would be achieved.

                  Fast forward to the New Year’s resolutions of my high school and college years and you would see that I got the specific part of goal-making down, however I went to the other extreme-I overreached. My goals were still noble but unrealistic and unattainable, leaving me to feel like a failure rather than motivated & encouraged.

                  I say all that to explain that this is the first year in awhile that I have decided to participate in the resolution-making. I am not going to bore you with my personal list, but I am sharing a list of goals that we can work on together.



Christian resolutions to make (and keep) in 2014



1.     Rejoice in the Lord. Always. Be joyful in fellowship! (Philippians 4:4; Acts 8 & 16) People should see a difference in us. We should be happy and they should see that (especially when we come together to worship)! We should be joyful because there is joy in Christ (Ephesians 2:1-4). Be joyful 365 days a year!

2.     Be prayerful (1 Thessalonians 5:17; Philippians 4:6; 1 Peter 3:12; James 1). What do you pray for? Are your prayers self-directed? Are you praying for opportunities to share the gospel? Do you pray to recognize those opportunities when they are presented? What about praying for your enemies as commanded in 2 Thessalonians 3:1? Do you pray that the gospel may have free course? Do you pray for the lost by name? The brethren? Church leaders? Political leaders?

3.     Support the work/activities of your local congregation. Do no allow yourself to become complacent or apathetic; it will cost you your soul. Support, pray, encourage and participate!

4.     Encourage! Encourage! Encourage! (2 Timothy 4:2; Hebrews 3:13) Encourage one another to be involved. Everyone needs encouragement. Leaders and young people especially need encouragement (Titus 2:6; 1 Peter 5:1).


So, what do you think? Are you with me?
A year from now you’ll wish you had started today.
-unknown