Monday, October 14, 2013

Mention-Worthy Monday - New & Noteworthy (book review ed.)

-->
Overcoming the World In 9 Innings (Winning the Game of Life God’s Way) by Ben Stevenson



9 Innings: a game plan for life, but in terms of baseball. I admit I was a bit nervous at the beginning of this book. Sports is not my strongest subject and I worried that while this was a worthwhile read, it might be over my head. I am happy to report that even with my somewhat standard knowledge of baseball, this book has left me with countless lessons and advice.



While, this book offers something for everyone, I would especially recommend this for young people. Ben does a great job of laying out the “game plan” that, we as Christians need to follow and he does so in a way that is straightforward and easily understood. This is a relatively short book, yet filled with memorable quotes. I feel so blessed to call this author a brother-in-Christ (as well as a life-long friend) and I urge you to order a copy or pick one up from the Mars Hill bookstore in Florence, Alabama. Trust me when I say it will most definitely by worth your time.







I love to share some of my favorite portions of my reads, not to take anything away from the author, but because I feel it is just enough of a glimpse to perk your interest and because their words are always much better than my own.



“When we first become new Christians or after some big event like a revival, lectureship or church camp we get pumped up about living the right Christian life and hold ourselves accountable for the things that we do and do not do day to day. However, over time, when we are back around the world everyday we lose our luster somewhat and fall right back to doing the same old things the way we see fit.”



“We can have a laundry list full of goals and tell everyone what our goals are, but it is only when we get our priorities straight that we will really begin to see our goals achieved.”



“There are so many kids who want to be the starting quarterback or running back, but are built to be an offensive lineman. Not everyone can play the star positions, but that does not mean that their job is any less important.”



“Figure out your talent, use your talent, know your role, and help the church grow.”



“Too often, we lose all humility when we feel we have accomplished something great and we need to let everyone know about it…loudly.”



“A humble person shows his humility through his actions, not just his words.”



“We have to understand our purpose and understand that there is no greater purpose in the entire world than that of serving God and letting His light shine through us.”



“The choice of eternity leaves us with two options. Something to keep in mind-if earth was the place to be, Jesus would have stayed.”