Friday, May 16, 2014

Family Friendly Friday (Movie Ed.)

If you’ve been reading my blog very long, you’ve probably figured out I have a love for old movies. I came by this love naturally because my mom started me out watching them at a young age. My parents were very selective of what our family watched and I am extremely thankful for the caution they exercised. It has resulted in a concern over what my own family invites into our living room. As Christians, we should be very concerned over what kind of entertainment we put in front of our children, as well as what kind we allow to fill our own minds. As I explained in a past post, for me, Fridays often meant family movie night. I am still a huge fan of it, but it can be hard to find “movies worth watching.” To that end, many of my Friday posts are just a list of family friendly movies to give you ideas, if you’re stumped on what to watch or (if you are a lover of the silver screen like me,) to reminisce some of the true classics. So whether you’ve just stumbled upon my page in search of a Friday night movie for the family or if you’re simply a kindred spirit who is familiar with Hollywood’s golden era, welcome and enjoy!



Up first…
 The Absent Minded Professor

Fred McMurray is one of my favorite actors. I mean, what’s not to like? Whether he’s portraying a dad to three boys or, as in this particular film, a bachelor that can’t remember his own wedding date, he does so fantastically.








State Fair (1945)

Midways, campgrounds, judging, concerts…I’m in heaven just writing about it. I love this movie with all the fair hoopla. After you watch this one, you find yourself Googling to find the fair nearest you (if you don’t already know that is).









Last but certainly not least…

On Moonlight Bay

Doris Day is another one of those timeless actresses. Paired with Gordon MacRae in this film, they are a vibrant duo. This is a beautiful love story with an ending that will leave you teary-eyed. I have a feeling you’ll also recognize several other characters from this picture such as Leon Ames (you just watched him in The Absent Minded Professor!), Ellen Corby (Grandma Walton anyone?), and Mary Wickes (carrying on her role as the good-natured, humorous housekeeper from White Christmas).

No comments:

Post a Comment