Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Work-To-Do Wednesday-Being Fruitful (Part II)

Being fruitful is not something we can put off until the laundry is done, the freezer is full of prepared meals, and our children are older. It is easy for us as ladies especially, to feel overwhelmed with the task of bearing fruit on top of our seemingly-never-ending to-do list. And there lies the problem. Bearing fruit is not something we can put on our list to check off when it’s completed. Bearing fruit is what Christianity is all about. It is the very reason for our “to-do list.” Obviously, we bear good fruits by striving to be godly wives and mothers, but what about reaching others or encouraging our spiritual family? The great commission applies to us, but too often we use our family obligations as an excuse to put that on the back burner and often fail to ever go any further with our good intentions.  So I’ve listed a few ways I personally try to be fruitful on a daily basis as a stay-at-home mom (& wife). It is my hope and prayer these will encourage or inspire you to be fruitful as well!

1.     Keep pamphlets/tracts about the church in your purse to leave on the table when you go out to eat. Many of your local congregations have these in the foyer & are more than happy to provide them for you. (One I like to leave is “Come and See” by Garland Elkins.) You can also do this with invitations to gospel meetings and other events your congregation is involved in!
2.     Keep those same pamphlets/tracts in your car to pass out when an opportunity arises. I even stuck labels to the back of these tracts with our local congregation’s information and my blogsite. I keep Bible study workbooks in the car as well.
3.     I like to mail all the bills I can because it is an opportunity to put something such as a business card from The Light Network or a small pamphlet with information about the Lord’s church. You may be thinking that this is pointless & no one will read it, but how do you know? You may be right, it may be thrown away, but it is a means of teaching. What if we were all doing this? What if everyone at your congregation did this? Can you imagine how many tracts would be sent out?!
4.     After sealing anything I mail out, I try to write “In God We Trust” or "God Bless America" on it. I even ordered some stickers from Oriental Trading with these words that I would encourage you to get as well, if possible.
5.     I love sending cards to people, but since the arrival of my little boy finding time to do so is increasingly difficult. I’ve found that organization is the best way to get this accomplished. I try to send birthday cards each month. These can be prepared in advance and just left in a prominent place to help you remember to mail them. I also prepare (in advance) cards of encouragement to send to those who are shut-in or nursing home residents. If you aren’t sure what to say on these, write a Bible verse and sign your name! Trust me, the recipient will still love it whether or not you are full of eloquent words. I try to keep a variety of cards on hand (and all in one place) to send as the need arises (i.e. sympathy, get well, etc.). Below, is a picture of my Pinterest inspired card box and a (hopefully helpful) explanation of its contents.
 





What suggestions do you have for being fruitful?